Two trips in two weeks is a first for me! Last weekend we went to Montana (you can read about our adventures here). And now I leave for Dallas tomorrow ! Normally I am only flying once or twice a year to fly back to Chicago but this year has been the year of travel for me! And I have to say, I am LOVING it.
This post contains affiliate links. I received some of these products in exchange for a review. ALL opinions are my own. To read my full disclaimer click here.
I am one of those weirdos who loves checklists and organizing a suitcase. Packing a suitcase makes me so aware of what products and clothes I actually use and love. Which has been making it easier for me to start purging my closet and bathroom drawers of things I never use or wear.
**For a printable version of the checklist click here
I use the toiletries checklist whenever I am flying. Obviously if you don’t wear glasses or contacts, you wouldn’t need those things… and I left a few spaces blank for you to write in anything else you need to add to the list. This is my checklist for a CHECKED BAG. Since I don’t have to worry about liquids, I just pack what I want without paring down too much. I do always put opened containers that tend to leak in small plastic baggies, just to make sure they don’t get all over everything.
A great way to get small sample sizes of great products is by subscribing to a beauty subscription box ! I get so many of my travel sized products from Fab Fit Fun, Birchbox, Ipsy etc.
- Sunscreen – La Roche Posay Anthelios
- Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream
- Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
- Batiste Dry Shampoo
- Rusk Elixir Mist
- Eye glasses
- Headband to hold my hair back while I am washing my face and applying makeup. Just one of those little things that can make getting ready so much easier.
- Humble brand deodorant in Cedarwood This is my FAVORITE deodorant! No toxic chemicals and it actually works !
- Bobby pins and hair ties in a small linen drawstring bag
- Hair Brush
- Contact solution and case
- Tresemme Hair Spray
- I bring Dr. Teal’s Soothe & Sleep Bubble Bath’when I know I will be staying at a hotel. Often they have big soaking tubs and who doesn’t love a hot bubble bath on vacay? Soak in the tub with your face mask on and you have a mini spa night!
- Neutrogena Clean for Color- Color Defending Conditioner (I always bring an extra hair conditioner because I use so much of it!)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Unwash Bio-Cleansing Conditioner is amazing for travel because it’s like a two-in-one. It replaces shampoo while also being a conditioner.
- EOS Shave Cream
- New sharp razor. I have been using one from Harry’s! It is very sharp and I do have to be careful not to get razor burn (darn sensitive skin). I love that it comes with a little case to cover the blade- perfect for travel. The handle is nice and grippy so it doesn’t slip right out of my hand when shaving. The razor came in a nice set too- would be a perfect gift!
- Bar of soap. I get most of my soap from a little shop in Idaho Springs. They are the BEST! They last a long time, have amazing scents and are just really well-made. I love my little soap saver I bought from them, too. You can hang it up in your shower so your soap bar doesn’t get slimy and icky sitting in a tray. And it acts as an exfoliant, too. You can order online too! The Soap Shop
- The Body Shop British Rose single use face mask is the best! I love that you can buy these samples for travel. Traveling can make your skin so dry and irritated so I always pack a face mask!
- Bella B Foaming Face Wash
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil for blemishes
- for makeup remover and to freshen up after the pool
- The Body Shop Vitamin E Hydrating Toner
- Juice Beauty Smoothing Eye Concentrate
- Honest Beauty Younger Face Moisturizer
- I don’t ever travel with a blow dryer because most hotels have them, and when I am staying with friends and family, they most likely have one too. I will just bring either a curling iron or straightener with.
I got this cute 4 piece train case set from Ross for only $16! I have seen the same brand/product at Free People ! Having the right size cosmetics cases is important when you are trying to maximize space in your suitcase. I love this one because the large clear bag is perfect for all my bath and body items and the next size down is perfect for my makeup, which then fits right in that clear bag! Makes it so much easier to find everything in my suitcase.
Usually I am flying with my kiddo, so this will be my first solo flight since 2011! I am READY. You know you’re a mom when you are even excited to just fly alone. I can actually take a nap ! Or read! Or just relax! Ahh… bliss. I love my kiddo of course, but this mommy trip is WAY overdue!
So since it’s just me heading to Texas, I have a small personal item for on the plane. I got this cute simple tote from Forever 21. It’s the perfect size to slide underneath the seat in front of you while still be large enough to hold all my stuff.
I don’t pack a lot for myself on the plane but I do have a few necessities!
What’s In My Carry On:
- A lightweight long scarf to snuggle up in. I use a warmer one during the cold months and a lightweight in the warm months.
- My journal and pen to jot things down,doodle or make lists
- Wallet with Debit and credit cards, ID, insurance card etc.
- Sleep Mask ( I always bring one but never get to sleep… maybe this time I will!)
- Water bottle
- My cell and charger
- Hand sanitizer (I use the Young Living kind- its the best! No nasty chemicals, yay!)
- Small hand cream
- Hair tie
- A couple essential oils- this time I am bringing Stress Away and a rollerball pain relief blend
Don’t forget your plastic ziploc baggie to put your liquids in!
A few other items you may want to bring on the plane:
- Headache medicine
- Any prescription meds you have (wouldn’t want those to be lost in your checked bag!)
- Laptop or Ipad
- Wet wipes
- Snacks ( I usually just end up buying something in the airport or on the plane but sometimes come prepared with snacks)
- Neck pillow
- Portable cell phone charger
Remember to always prepare for long lines at security. I know this is common sense, and everyone tells you to get there two hours early. Well, I hate sitting in the airport for too long with my son- he gets so antsy that we usually get there to just have enough time to grab a bite, go to the bathroom and board. Well, I got so use to the short lines at DIA that when I got stuck in the longest line I ever saw…(Labor day weekend) I almost missed my flight ! It was not fun, to say the least. Running through the airport dragging my four year old behind and yelling at him to RUN was quite the site I am sure. I learned my lesson!
I hope this checklist helps!
Is there anything you always travel with I didn’t mention? Taking any trips soon? Let me know in the comments below, I love to chat!